This is the toilet to beat when it comes to off the grid / self-sufficient living. The Excel NE was first designed in 1981 and remains the standard in completely non-electric toilets.
Ideal for those with no continuous 240 volt supply, the Excel NE requires no fan or heater. It remains odour free due to the diffuser at the top of the unit, which draws odour away from the toilet much like a chimney draws smoke from a fire.
Residential/continuous – 2 adults or families of 3
Seasonal/vacation – 5 adults or families of 7
1.9W 12 or 240V
570mm W, 1213mm D,
(Includes space for removable tray to slide out)
- Compost chamber – Internal [Square]
- Compost chamber – External & Lid [Round]
- Installation Kit
- Starter pack: 1 x 125ml Nature Flush Enzymes & spray bottle, 1 x Bag of Nature Quick Microbes, 2 x Bag of bulking agent and “Who Gives a Crap” Toilet Roll
To ensure optimal airflow, the vent pipe should be installed in a straight vertical line and sit 60 cm to a meter above the roof.
Whilst the toilet will normally provide odour free operation, the following installations require that our 1.9 watt 12 volt fan is installed
• If there are any bends in the vent pipe.
• If the toilet is to be used full time in a home.
• If you live in a highly treed or hilly area that is predisposed to downdrafts.
In any case we suggest that no more than two 45 degree angles in the vent pipe.
The fan can be powered by a solar panel or 12 volt rechargeable battery, requiring only a 1.9 watt draw.
The evaporative capacity of this model is less than the 240 volt version which comes with a heater. This means you must attach attach the drainpipe (included) and connecting it to a sub-surface gravel absorption trench. Suggested trench size is 2m long x 40cm wide x 40cm deep.
The Sun-Mar Excel NE model is Australian & New Zealand Standard 1546.2:2008 and is approved in most Australian states. This model is approved in QLD, NSW, WA, NT, VIC and TAS. (The products are approved only if installed as per the installation manual)